Tuesday 22 March 2016

There's enough gogies to go around!

I've learned through out this course and throughout my career as an educator that there is an art/science to teaching and learning. I wish I could go back to high school and facilitate discussion with my teachers whom I didn't pay much attention to or rather disliked, and embrace the fact that I could probably have some great discussions with them. I now can relate and emphasize with them what they went through on a daily basis.

The art/science consists of many types of teaching and learning. In educational terminology, there are "gogies".

Pedagogy is about the "how" of teaching. What methods are you as an educator using to engage your students?

Andragogy is the study of teaching and learning with adults. It's more or less learner-centered. More attention is placed on what the learner is doing.

Heutagogy is about developing the skills to learn on one's own. Learning how to learn.

Understanding the gogies in one step in becoming a great educator and understanding your learners.

I had fun today in one of our discussion forums where we were asked to make a bumper sticker about gogies. This is what I cam up with.





No comments:

Post a Comment