Saturday 19 March 2016

"Active Learning" is an umbrellas term that now refers to several models of instruction. There is cooperative learning, discovery learning, experimental learning, problem based learning, and inquiry based learning.

How do you learn?

It's interesting for me as an instructor to go back in time when I was a student and come to the realization that its true in fact that everyone, including me learns differently. To truly learn, we need to make an idea, a concept, or a solution our own. How do we do this? By our personal knowledge and experience. I also believe that it becomes a skill and sometimes a habit for those that struggle with staying focused. In order to do this effectively, we need to be engaged. Other wise the learning may not exist as deeply as it should. When a learner is engaged they actively examine, question and relates to what is being taught.

When referring to the models of instruction, where do you fall?

I myself, would say I'm a problem based learner as well as a discovery learner. I think this is why I love nursing. It's full of challenges around real problems. It's using a lot of critical thinking and as a nurse, we do this on a daily basis. This type of learning definitely enhances engagement and motivation as we pull in our experiences during problem solving.

Discovery learning is close to problem based learning. Students are not provided with the exact answers but rather the materials in order to find the answer themselves. Students can also draw on their knowledge and experience to manipulate the answer. This is why I'm drawn to this type of learning, because as a nurse, we love to problem solve and we don't always have every piece to the puzzle and have to come up with those pieces through experience. Love this type of learning! It's so exciting and when the answer is found its rewarding and satisfying!


No comments:

Post a Comment